Monday, October 27, 2014

Review of The Heart of Christmas

ARC from the Author Brenda Novak

The Heart of Christmas

Eve Harmon has always been the good girl in town who had everything a girl could ask for: a great job, a loving family and the best friends a girl could ask for. However, there is still one thing missing... a husband. So she decides on the eve of her birthday that she will live a little and of course drink a little. Much to her surprise when she wakes up the next morning there is a sexy stranger in her bed who she brought home last night.

Rex has always lived a secretive life letting very few people in not even his family so when he ends up hooking up with Eve Harmon he figures it will be a one night stand and never have to see her again. However, much to his surprise, Rex or as Whiskey Creek patrons know him, Brent decides to take a break from his protection company life and spend a couple weeks on vacation.

Will Eve end up falling for the sexy stranger when she promised him that there would be no strings attached? Can Rex continue to hide his past life and family from Eve?


My Review:

This is the third book that I have read of Brenda's and this one did not disappoint. As I continue to read Brenda's books I find that her writing continues to get better and better. I felt that the she did a great job of giving you back story on the new character and also continuing the stories on of past characters you have met in previous books. It was cool to see how she continued Cheyenne's story in this book as it made you realize that there was more that is going to be going on with past characters from the Whiskey Creek series.

In addition, I really felt that this book was realistic in the way that Brenda went about things. For instance when she was talking about Rex's past and why he did the things he did it truly made sense. I also felt like she did not sugar coat what can really happen to people who are in hiding from bad people. You can tell that she did her research and didn't try to fluff things.

Lastly, I loved how she took a character that I didn't very much like in the last book to one of my all time favorite characters from Brenda. After the first couple characters I really felt like i connected with Eve and was rooting for her until the very end! I would have to say my favorite part of the book was of course the ending. Don't worry I won't give and spoilers other than to say I was very proud of the way she ended it. Brenda again made it very realistic but also gave readers what they were asking for.

Can't wait to read the next book in the series and to see what she has planned!

No comments:

Post a Comment